Sunday, October 18, 2009

THE LAST OF THE APPLES!!



The rest of the apples had been sitting in the fridge for days, and I felt powerless against them. But, not one to roll over and die like that, today I decided to battle the rest of the apples like Steven Segal in that movie where he goes into a coma for nine years, but emerges to kick ass and take names. 

John and I and some of our friends spent the morning running a 5k in the freezing rain, which made me feel motivated to be a little healthier. Then I took down a diner breakfast at Uncommon Ground in Watertown that three people could probably split. (It was worth it.)

Anyway, the point of my story is that I searched the internet for a (at least quasi) healthy apple recipe that would use up the rest of our crop. I found this Low Fat Apple Bread recipe online, and luckily I had all of the ingredients on hand. (I made a cup of fresh, unsweetened apple sauce by cooking down about 3 apples with some water). Instead of making a single loaf, I decided to portion them out into muffins. My coworkers will hopefully help me eat these this week.

Remember how I said John refused to let me throw away the apple cores? (Or peels, for that matter?) Today, I have to say he took a page from Alton Brown's book and decided to make apple pectin (which can be used to thicken the filling for apple pies, make jelly, or create fruit-based sauces for meat dishes). He basically boiled all the cores and peels in a giant pot for an hour or so, and I'm assuming he'll strain out the solids. We'll freeze the remnants and probably use it around Thanksgiving. Here's a bit more about pectin. It's also pictured in the first photo of this post. If you can't tell that the second photo is the muffins, I have no words.


No comments:

Post a Comment